My New Toy Is Almost Here

nuxx

Literally after years of chasing a bigger tank, my new tank is about to ship out. (Didn't want to start a build thread until the build was further along)

Backstory:

- In late 2011 I bought a used 135 gallon acrylic tank which needed a ton of polishing. After weighing the amount of work it would take and some larger fish I wanted to keep, I decided to sell it.

- A few weeks later I bought a used 240 gallon acrylic tank. It was a freshwater tank, so it needed to have overflows put in. After a year and two tank builders working on the tank, I was over the tank. It was finally done right, but I had mentally moved on. I sold that tank as well.

- I then decided to take a break and really focus on my little 55 gallon tank. Changed the tank from FOWLR to mixed reef. Started learning everything I could in tank maintenance and keeping coral. Only have three fish in the tank (Small Yellow and Yellow Belly Blue Tangs and a Black Ice Clown) and have grown some very small frags (SPS/LPS) into decent sized healthy pieces.

A few months ago I decided it was time to chase a big tank again. I shopped around and finally decided on Jeff at Pimped Out Aquariums (http://www.pimpedoutaquariums.com/). Not only were his prices good, but he just seemed to really take an interest in my build. I didn't feel like a faceless quote.

Anyway the tank is ~ 120 x 29 x 31" (470 gallons) and is made of 1" acrylic. Should be shipping out this Thursday. Have a lot of the equipment (Sump, Pumps, Powerheads, Heater, Skimmer, etc...) already, and have spent a lot of time talking to people who I respect and know a whole lot more than I do getting a game plan together...

... can't wait to get started :)

post-2170-0-86929700-1379445827_thumb.jp

I like how you continually moved bigger and bigger without actually using them...haha...true reefer

LOL my wife feels the other way about this :P

10 foot long! NIce!

Thought that would be long enough to keep a few more active tangs :)

Wow that's awesome!!! Any idea what you will be leaning towards for lighting?

Really thinking I'm going to go with 5 Kessil A360w's to start out.

• Like 3

I like how you continually moved bigger and bigger without actually using them...haha...true reefer

LOL my wife feels the other way about this tongue.png

hahaha, i can imagine.

i'm not a true aquarist, i guess. i don't replace, i just add mostly. that's why i have 4 permanent tanks running smile.png well, maybe 5, depends on what i do with the QT when i'm done with the most of it. only one is salt water, though.

anyway, enjoy your gigantic tank. smile.png

hahaha, i can imagine.

i'm not a true aquarist, i guess. i don't replace, i just add mostly. that's why i have 4 permanent tanks running smile.png well, maybe 5, depends on what i do with the QT when i'm done with the most of it. only one is salt water, though.

anyway, enjoy your gigantic tank. smile.png

LOL... I try to justify it with saying I can use x from y tank... sad thing is that technology just moves so fast that I've pretty much dumped everything.

Just going to keep my Tunze skimmer... it might be bordering on the small side... but it was too big for my 240 build anyway. With the huge fuge area I'm going to have and scarce livestock when starting, I'm hoping it'll do the job for a while.

I keep stockpiling parts though. Already bought 4 WP40s and have 2 WP60s on the way. Going to use with two 1600 gph returns and 2 Sicce 4000s pumps which were leftover from the 240 build for flow.

Dumped the Chinese LEDs and will be using Kessils, just seem like the best/newest tech on the market. Also the boss likes the look of them lol

Boss said when the tank is on the truck I can order my rock lol

• Like 1

i would say i have some rock i can part with, but i think the two or three pieces i have will probably not make much of a dent smile.png.

Haha thanks :)

Going to go with Dry Rock this time. I have around 150 lbs of Live Rock as well... don't even think I'll use it at all on the new tank.

5 kessil 360's!? I couldn't possibly be more jealous. Is this tank going to have a canopy?

Yeah want to control them on a reef angel. Might put some A360Ns in as well, not sure yet...

No canopy. I don't really like the look. Should look sleek with the goosenecks and Kessils.

i would say i have some rock i can part with, but i think the two or three pieces i have will probably not make much of a dent smile.png.

Haha thanks smile.png

Going to go with Dry Rock this time. I have around 150 lbs of Live Rock as well... don't even think I'll use it at all on the new tank.

well, i have experience with one type of rock since i only have the one tank. but i am very happy with the the BRS reef saver rock. it's mined from an ancient reef, so there is nothing organic on it, alive or dead. it also stacks together very solidly and easily. anyway, this has been an unpaid advertisement for BRS.

That will look very sleek! On my tank I had 3 of them over my tank and I actually put them all on a conduit and bent the two ends to mount to the stand, if you want a pic I can try and find one but with the goosenecks bein like 60 bucks I saved a lot of money and it still looked sleek I just lost my ability to angle them as much. KimP also has a nice bar she hangs hers on. Just some ideas if your not for sure yet!

That will look very sleek! On my tank I had 3 of them over my tank and I actually put them all on a conduit and bent the two ends to mount to the stand, if you want a pic I can try and find one but with the goosenecks bein like 60 bucks I saved a lot of money and it still looked sleek I just lost my ability to angle them as much. KimP also has a nice bar she hangs hers on. Just some ideas if your not for sure yet!

Went the conduit route on my smaller tank as well. Works great, but I'm not even going to mess with it... just get goosenecks. Would be easier to move lights as well.

Little worried about the WP40-60 magnets and 1" acrylic though. Might need to get some beefier magnets...

well, i have experience with one type of rock since i only have the one tank. but i am very happy with the the BRS reef saver rock. it's mined from an ancient reef, so there is nothing organic on it, alive or dead. it also stacks together very solidly and easily. anyway, this has been an unpaid advertisement for BRS.

Yeah had some issues with hitchhikers on Live Rock. Just would rather start clean lol

Patrick has been nice enough to offer to cure/seed the Dry Rock for me, pretty excited :)